Tired of London, Tired of Life - One thing a day to do in London

A website about things to do in London

15 April 2011

Reflect on the remains of St George's Chapel

St George's Chapel, on Repository Road in Woolwich, was the official chapel of the Royal Artillery Company from its construction in 1863. Originally commissioned directly by Secretary of State for War, Sir Sidney Herbert, it was built to designs by the prolific Irish British Ecclesiastical Architect, Thomas Henry Wyatt.


However, on 13th July 1944, it was hit by a V1 flying bomb and to this day, only some walls and the apse recess above the altar remains, and still holds the regimental Victoria Cross Memorial. There is, sadly, no roof, and this has led to some damage of the remaining mosaics, which efforts are ongoing to try to protect.

For more information, click here.

1 comment: