The church was built as a result of events following the Battle of Waterloo and the 1818 Act of Parliament which was passed to raise a million pounds as a national offering for peace. South London secured the seven Waterloo Churches which were built with the money.
It was completed in 1829 and nowadays it is at the heart of the community in Bermondsey, and provides a welcome pretty view for the many flats in the new Bermondsey Spa developments. It is also still a place of worship for people of over 20 nationalities.
For more, visit http://www.stjamesbermondsey.org.uk/